Getting engaged is such a magical time in your life! Your whole world just seems to shine and your heart is so full it feels like it could burst! You’re moving easy through your days with your rose coloured glasses on until the time comes that you decide to get down to business and actually start planning your wedding.
Don’t get me wrong, this is a very exciting thing! However, the majority of brides (and grooms) become VERY overwhelmed with the tremendous amount of decisions they’ll need to make. Emotions run high when there is money, family, big decisions and compromises that need to be made. You’re familiar with Bridezillas, yes? Groomzillas exist, too. So here’s a few tips and tricks to keep those monsters at bay.
1. First thing’s first. Decide on your budget and commit to sticking to it. Before you start setting your heart on flower arrangements, decor, your favourite 2006 Syrah from a local winery – reel yourself in and budget. It’s boring, yes. But it must be done.
2. Get organized. Whether you’re an excel wiz or an old fashioned paper folder kind of gal, start your organization on Day 1. (Don’t worry, when you work with us – we help you with this. A whole folder of tools awaits you when we work together!)
3. Timing is everything. It’s important to secure your venue and date before you book anything else. Keep in mind that venues often book out more than a year in advance so it’s not a terrible idea to do this promptly. This is the single, largest decision that you need to make and it will likely influence your choices of vendors, colours, schedules, season, etc. There are many things to consider when choosing a venue but we’ll leave that for another time.
4. Now that you have your venue locked and loaded, it’s time to book your next most important vendors. Do your homework, read reviews and ask for multiple quotes so you can be confident in who you choose to book.
- Caterer – Decide on style of meal (buffet, plated, family style) and price point so you can get accurate quotes from the caterers.
- Decorator – If you don’t want your family and friends doing crafts and setting up your wedding decor, leave it to the professional artists to give you exactly what you want.
- Photographer – Instagram is a great way to find a photographer that fits your style. Search the hashtag #weddingphotographer #mylocationphotographer and scroll to see where your eyes and your heart are drawn to.
- Florist – Again, Instagram is a great resource to hunt down your florist.
5. The details come next. Use your imagination (and Pinterest) to start evaluating the details that are important to you on your wedding day. Visually, walk yourself through your day so you don’t miss something important. For example, if you want mimosas while you get ready in the morning – do you have glasses, OJ and most importantly, the bubbly?!
If all of this still seems too much for your heart (and your future hubby) to handle, do yourself a favour and hire a professional Wedding Planner. They’ve done this hundreds of times and not only know the best vendors, the best venues and have all the creativity, they will know what’s best for you and your vision of your wedding day. They will help you create it and execute it. All the hard decision making is put into a lovely little package where all you have to do is check things off the list as they happen.
Your Wedding Planner will support you and ensure you don’t have to think about a single thing on your wedding day except how in love you are. My advice – WEDDING PLANNER TAKE THE WHEEL!